Saturday, September 10, 2011

Twined Coin Pearl Necklace



  I started this weave about 6 weeks ago. It's one of my many 'big ideas'. Disappointment is always a threat when working with 'big ideas', because too many things can go wrong when designing outside of your skill level.

  I tossed this weave aside because it was not perfectly centered and I knew in my heart that that would ruin it for me. What I did not realize was that once the entire weave was in place, the small off center issue would disappear, because the eye cannot make the same tiny spatial assessment once the weave had filled in all the air gaps.

This came out way better than I hoped it would! I love how the weave goes right up to the edge of the frame. It has an excellent feel of luxury and expensiveness due to the weight of all the silver in the pendant.

  It gives me hope for some of my other 'big ideas'  :))

15 comments:

  1. Love Love Love! I'm glad you were inspired to finish this piece. Those weaves are so tricky..I attempted a basket and it became a coin lol.

    Did I mention I love this?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary this is absolutely artistic..The weave OMG, so consistent !

    ReplyDelete
  3. "designing outside of your skill level" ??? No way, Mary, this is stunning and it looks as if you have done it 100 times before :) I totally LOVE the entire piece. The necklace is stunning as is the centerpiece. Glad you stayed with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, thank you so much!! You're not alone in having failed projects and have made weaves:) I have tons of them myself:)

    Emi, lol, thanks. I have to do the weave slowly to get that consistent look:)

    Thanks so much Tela, I'm glad I stuck with it too. I have a tendency to fall into discouragement too quickly at times:) Finishing this really gave me a hopeful boost in my work:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Mary, this is almost hypnotic to look at! Amazing work! ( and don't worry about designing outside your skill level...you nailed it. Sometimes I find myself copying my OWN style of work, staying in the same skill and design range and basically getting in a circular rut. We all need to keep doing our "impossibles" to keep ourselves going.
    --Dearrings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Dearrings!! Great comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, You set the bar high when you challenge yourself. To see this piece inspires and elates me with its beauty. The weave is incredible not only being double but being so tightly woven and going all the way to the frame. As a basket and wire weaver, your skills are phenomenal. You inspire me to challenge myself. Thank you!! Well Done, My friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christine, your comment here and on Facebook is entirely precious to me! You are so tender and good to me my friend! I'll probably come back and read this one again later; it fills my heart so much:))

    I was so grateful to make this design, because I have wanted to work this way since last Spring but could not progress without making easier versions first. I'm so glad it finally happened!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely stunning. So even. Fab.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Galadryl, Thank you , thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mary, Your pearl coin necklace is phenomenal, beautiful, and beautifully executed. You are as amazing an artist as you are a human being. xo, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome message from your Mom...a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pictures! Beautiful fashion necklaces! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete