Monday, October 24, 2011

Twining Lesson

   There is a lot of interest to learn twining right now. For those who don't know, the book "Fabulous Woven Jewelry" by Mary Hettmansperger teaches the twining weave. Also the book "Jewelry: Concepts and Techniques" by Oppi Untracht teaches the weave and gives multiple start methods for beginning round twining or weaving of all sorts. Some of these methods I have used and some I have not.

  I have drawn from all of these sources and closely studying the works of someone like Mary Lee Hu, or other fabulous weavers out there, including basket artists, and have developed my own methods through self study.

  If you read my blog you know that I am reluctant to teach in any official capacity. Recently I have been rethinking my reluctance. It began when I decided that I would write a free tutorial for the blog on Twining like I did with the Trinket Box. I very much enjoyed writing and teaching on that subject. But, I also felt free to teach in my own style because I did not charge anyone any money for it.

 The wire work community has developed a certain expectation about how information is to be transferred and shared. It is expected that a step by step type project will be taught and all wire lengths given. I really do not want to teach in that style, but I am interested in empowering wire workers and giving them tools to help them grow.

  So, I recently decided to take a risk and sell a lesson/guide on the subject of Close Flat Twining. I hope to share info as to wire choices, how to wrap on and off, how to do the twining weave (I use a revised method, not the one in Mary Hetts Book), how to twine closely, offer lots of options to encourage inspiration and design, pitfalls to avoid, and give you an idea how to approach your own project.

  I am going to offer this lesson for a low fee of 4$. With such a low fee the wire work community can try out a new method of information exchange with only a small risk if you don't like it.

  I'm a bit nervous about how this will go over or whether I will only be offering information that isn't already obvious to all. I hope everybody will at least gain one new skill from it.

  I don't have enough material to discuss round twining at this moment. However I will include one basket start in the lesson for those who want to play around with round twining;.

  I have never merged pics and text in a word processor before so it's a steep learning curve for me. Also there is lot's of details to discuss and pictures to take and it's taking longer to write than I thought. I hope to be done in two weeks or less.

  Than we shall all find out together whether this was a good idea or not!

26 comments:

  1. Sign me up!!! It always takes longer than expected, but I KNOW it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I am so happy and excited!! Twining is a skill you have developed through so much trial and error. I feel blessed to be able to benefit and learn from you. Thank you so much for putting forth the effort and energy to teach. I too know it will be worth it!
    Zippidy-Doo-Dah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great can't wait to see it. good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the votes of confidence friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, YES, count me in! I'm really excited already! I'm sure you'll do a very good job with it. This is a technique that I would love to learn from someone who is so accomplished at it like yourself.

    On another note- it is good that you are offering it for sale. I saw on a thread by Cookonstrike aka Laura that there are websites that are out snatching everyone's free tutes and reposting them with no credit. That makes me NOT want to do more free tutes. It's always a case of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary-
    Yes indeed this did answer my questions! And exceeded them :) I cannot wait to see the guide. I do have Mary Hettsmansperger's book and do love that one. I love that you are sharing-i find that you would be a great teacher (have your trinket box tutorial) and love your style. I don't feel at all times it is necessary to include every little millimeter, especially with something like this. I am inspired by your creativity and the beauty of your pieces. You are definitely making a name for yourself and am very proud for you! Will definitely wait and be in line to buy the guide!
    Kim (Texas)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to get your tutorial! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some people do want step by step directions, but I think that you giving them the tools and the know how to make their project their own is the best! Your are such a talented artist, I know that everyone will learn so much from your tutorial.
    Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks friends, I'm excited to try this method out:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Mary Lee Hu. She's one of my favorite artists of all time! :)

    I think it's great you've decided to use a different approach to teaching wire work. More often than not, breaking the rules and going against the norm is where real innovation comes from. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see it! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I look forward to your blog simply to see what new and amazing item you have created using wire. I am jumping for joy at the very idea of any learning tips and techniques you are willing to share with us. Your creations and a cup of coffee make my mornings so enjoyable as I try to figure out how you did that.
    Scrimshaw Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary, It makes my day to have your blessing and interest, because we have talked about this before:) Your comment meant a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah, I agree, innovation doesn't usually happen when we follow the norm. We can only hope!!

    Thank you Isabela!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're such a very great person..Sharing this at a very minimal fee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emi, I want the lesson to get into as many hands as possible and hopefully make the wire community hungry for alternative methods of learning. It's certainly a step up from 'free' from my perspective;)

    If it goes well and people gain from it, I will charge more if I write further lessons.

    Thank you for your compliment:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary: Yes you do amaze me and because of you I plug away and mutilate the wire, well, sometimes I do kill the poor stuff, as I sketch an idea out and try to reproduce it in wire. When it works I am so happy because I think this is all because of what you inspire me to try. True, I do square wire wrapping for my scrimshaw pieces but the coiling and weaving seems to just relax my inner self so much.
    Scrimshaw Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. How exciting, Mary! The twining technique is just what I need for a project I've had sketched for a long time. I would gladly pay more than $4.00 to get the benefit of all your trial and error.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ditto what Nancy said. Tutorials require a lot of work so best wishes to you only your project. Sheridan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mary Thank you!!

    Nancy, I've missed you! I'm so glad to hear that people have creative ideas and just needing the tools to make them happen or some way to ease the path. I'm goign to hold firm on my original low price intent:)

    Thank you Sheridan!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well Mary, I bit the bullet last night and ordered the Jewelry Concepts book...sigh. I should have stock in Amazon by now...ROFL. I have the other book and will dig it out again and look thru it. So now I eagerly await your tutorial and all and any updates, etc.

    Scrimshaw Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary, I cringe with you over the cost of that book! I think you will greatly value it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mary, yes, I did cringe a bit but then I thought about the time I tried to get my hubby to buy a copy of a book on antique bowie knives that he wanted that was $85.00 and he refused. Too much, he said. He ended up buying a copy later and paid $350.00 for it. Investments need to be made in all things, so I think I was right to go ahead and buy it.
    Scrimshaw Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mary, I feel the same. Sometimes it's best to make an investment and treat our work as valuable. It's actually much more affordable than the wire classes in Los Angeles. It's the kind of book you will refer back to again and again:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is so exciting Mary! I really look forward to it and also would happily pay more than $4. I'm right with you about measuring things out and such. I think that's one of the main things that have stopped me from doing tutorials. It just goes against my nature to be so precise!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mary! Count my vote too! Yayyyyyy!!!

    ReplyDelete